Michelle Lopez, Assistant Dean for Student Success
Faculty Advancement & Student Success - San Diego State University
Michelle Lopez is Assistant Dean in Faculty Advancement & Student Success. Previously she directed the Minority Biomedical Research Support/Initiative for Maximizing Student Development program in the College of Sciences where she led the program to achieve an 89% success rate of undergraduates enrolling in biomedical/behavioral science doctoral programs and built a blueprint for the College of Sciences to mentor/advise/engage STEM students academicaily and professionally. A first-generation college student from an immigrant Filipino family, she received her baccalaureate degree in Biology, Masters in Educational Leadership, Postsecondary Administration and is a current Doctoral student in Educational Leadership at UCSD/CSU San Marcos.
Michelle’s research interests include post-transfer student success, building a transfer receptive culture, access and success of underserved college student populations; and Filipinx students in higher education. Her dissertation research will examine Filipinx Post-Transfer Student Experiences at a Four-Year University.
Michelle has 20 years of practitioner experience with programs to engage diverse students in academic scholarships, high-impact enrichment opportunities, major exploration, aligning major choice with strengths and interests, and early preparation for graduate study.
As Assistant Dean, Michelle is responsible for a broad range of matters relating to
undergraduate student retention, advising, engagement and achievement.
She is a liaison and partner with various academic and student affairs-diversity offices and programs and currently serves on the Advisory Board for the CSU Success Network. Most recently, her diverse student centered and cross-divisional student success partnership work was presented at the CSU Student Success Network Virtual Conference (September/October 2020) and will be presented at the National Institute for the Study of Transfer Students (February, 2021). She also has a book chapter on the Latina/o/x Community College Transfer Experience in progress.
Diverse students mentored by Michelle are enrolled in top graduate programs across the nation, have completed their graduate degrees or are currently employed in higher education, the STEM industry and other professions.
Students Schedule with Michelle to discuss any of the following:
- general student success check-ins
- undecided students exploring major options (e.g. I met with undeclared and major advisers but still unsure)
- finding campus community and mentors to support your goal
- undergraduate research opportunities, graduate school opportunities and funding
- petition to withdraw due to special circumstances
- other reasons to related to student success and retention
Colleagues or Community Members Schedule with Michelle to consult or strategically plan on:
- student engagement - partnership development and increasing student engagement in high impact practices
- strengthening undergraduate - graduate pathways
- transfer student success
- first-generation college success
- equity and inclusion in STEM
- recruitment of diverse students into faculty-mentored opportunities
- equity-minded strategies or practices to improve diverse student readiness
- earlier, proactive advising and outreach practices to support underrepresented, first-gen and post-traditional students
Michelle Lopez, M.A.
Assistant Dean for Student Success